Jobs – work with Lynn United for Change Empowerment Project
Tenant rights / housing justice community organizer
Lynn United for Change Empowerment Project (www.LynnEmpowerment.org) seeks a tenant rights / housing justice community organizer to work in Lynn, MA. We are looking for applicants who are committed to stopping unjust evictions, fighting racism, bringing people together to defend the human right to housing, and organizing for social and economic justice. Ability to speak Spanish and English is required.
The organizer will work with volunteers, grassroots leaders, and allied organizations to directly assist tenants who are facing eviction, unhealthy conditions, rent increases, and other housing problems. The organizer will also support and connect tenants with campaigns to fight gentrification, stop unfair rent increases, improve conditions, and win more affordable housing.
This may be a half time (20 hours/week) or full time (40 hours/week) position depending on skills, experience, and availability of candidates. Pay will be commensurate with relevant experience. Schedule will be flexible but may require some evening and/or weekend hours.
- respond to phone calls, emails, and text messages from tenants seeking assistance
- help tenants to apply for rental assistance and obtain legal support support outreach activities such as door-knocking and distributing flyers help to recruit and schedule volunteers
- assist with planning and facilitating community meetings and trainings
- help organize protest actions and public events
- assist with research and gathering data
- commitment to social justice, anti-racist principles, and the human right to housing
- proficiency in spoken Spanish and English
- ability to write in English
- ability to work well with a diverse group and bring people together across differences of race, nationality, language, immigration status, sexual orientation, gender identity
- ability to use online forms; email; Google Documents + Google Sheets and/or Microsoft Office
Helpful but not required:
- familiarity with the city of Lynn, MA
- proficiency in written Spanish
- experience with protest actions
- experience with one or more of the following: community organizing, tenant organizing, union organizing, other social justice work
- familiarity with housing issues through personal experience, volunteer work, and/or organizing
Please send a resume (or list of relevant skills and experience) to job2@LynnEmpowerment.org (PDF files preferred). Please also include a cover letter (or short description of why you are interested in this job) as an additional attachment.
Protesting luxury-only development in Lynn. Photo: Marilyn Humphries